Approximation - Quiz
Choose the best approximation expression for each sentence
A new car will cost you at least $10,000, maybe much more.
- ...upwards of $10,000
- ...$10,000 or so
- ...very nearly $10,000
There are twenty two or twenty three students in the class.
- There are twenty-ish students...
- There are twenty or so students...
- There are upwards of twenty students...
He'll be 70 soon.
- He's something like 70.
- He's very nearly 70.
- He's 70-ish.
I’ll be there at approximately seven o’clock.
- I'll be there at roughly seven o'clock.
- I'll be there at sevenish
- I'll be there at just coming up to seven o'clock.
I suppose he must be about 50 – 60.
- I suppose he must be 50 odd.
- I suppose he must be just gone 50.
- I suppose he must very nearly 50.
It takes twenty minutes to get to the city centre from here, perhaps a little more.
- ...very nearly twenty minutes
- ...twenty minutes or so
- ...upwards of twenty minutes
She will be three next month.
- She's very nearly three.
- She's somewhere in the region of three.
- She's something like three.
There will be a maximum of 100 guests.
- There will be anything up to 100 guests.
- There will very nearly 100 guests.
- There will be something like 100 guests.
The time now is 7.29 and twenty seconds.
- ...is just under 7.30.
- ...is anything up to 7.30.
- ...is just coming up to 7.30.
I suppose he's in his thirties.
- ...she's upwards of thirty.
- ...thirty something.
- ...roughly thirty.
It takes an hour and fifty five minutes by fast train.
- ...coming up to two hours.
- ...just under two hours.
- ...upwards of two hours.
A good bicycle will cost you about $2000.
- ...anything up to $2000.
- ...very nearly $2000.
- ...somewhere in the region of $2000.
We're meeting in the bar around eight.
- ...at eight or so.
- ...at just coming up to eight.
- ...at eightish.
I'd guess there were ten thousand people at the concert.
- ...something like ten thousand people..
- ...upwards of ten thousand people.
- ...ten thousand-ish people
It's 7.58 by my watch.
- ...anthing up to eight o'clock...
- ...just coming up to eight o'clock
- ...very nearly eight o'clock.
- It's just gone three o'clock.
- It's upwards of three o'lcock.
- It's over three o'clock.
One pound sterling is approximately one US dollar fifty.
- ...is very nearly one US dollar fifty.
- ...is roughly one US dollar fifty.
- ...is upwards of US dollar fifty.
More on this topic...
There are no quiz activities for this language point at present.